Monday, July 27, 2009

Interactive Media Assignment

I don’t really play a lot of games online but I did like console games a lot in my youth. I played some single-player games like final fantasy but for the most part I loved to play games such as Mario party, Super Smash Bros., and Mario kart. My family enjoyed Mario Party in particular and we purchased all versions up until the wii came out. The thing about Mario Party was that it was multi-player and really much more fun the more people you played with. While I loved the story line and graphics of games like final fantasy, I found that after playing too much of it I tended to feel a little weird and isolated because it is an RPG and you are sort of swept up into the world. I guess it was sort of immediacy that I recoiled from and if I thought about it long enough it was also strange that I was interacting with people who were not actually people in the game, that it is essentially a solipsistic world created for you to explore alone.

However, when playing Mario Party it’s really no fun if you play alone because many of the games require partnering. Playing with my siblings was really enjoyable because I could spend time with them doing something that we all enjoyed. Also I didn’t necessarily feel that disconnect that I did with other games. I could play video games and be interacting with the screen and still be interacting with people around me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9_bGc95Fs&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment