Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Image Essay Critiques

Sushmita

I felt that there was a strong sense of chronology especially with the pictures of clocks and times and days. I got feeling of camaraderie in the pictures of the game as there are alot of smiling faces. Sometimes it seems to get tense as the expressions become more serious but at the end it goes back to smiling faces.

Rasheena

The essay evoked a feeling of the everyday with the couch, bed, cups normal objects. I liked that there was a strong rhythm to the piece and sort of the juxtaposition of adulthood and childhood. I was curious though as to why she used similar objects--bed and couch, plastic cup and paper cup, and wall and poster. I liked the use of color and black and white.

Raquel

I definitely got a sense of traveling over a distance especially down green st. away from Wright. I was not sure what the overarching theme was besides sort of buildings. I thought it might have something to do with construction or renovation since there were many pictures of construction signs and machines. It seemed like there was alot of pictures.

Nick

I liked the photographs especially of the construction site. The one with the sign that has graffiti on it is very compelling. I did not really see the theme as strongly as I thought I would but since we heard what Nick's point of view was I was able to see a connection. I like the sense of decay.

Hyung Kyoon

Very strong message. I thought the pictures of people starving paired with the models starving for 'fashion' really was strong. I liked that you could tell what his theme was right off the bat. I think the fact that he had picture off the internet that showed very specific situations helped with this.

Dan

I felt like the very blurry pictures were really confusing and even a little bit confrontational to the viewer, which might have been the point. Like the picture of the page with words that are just a little too blurry to read kind of reminded me of how I see the world without my glasses, a little frustrating. I am not sure about the random one because I thought the order of the second one does not have an explicit order but still the second one was better because i felt that you did get a sense of some underlying current.

Crystal:
I really liked the different signs that were in the front of the album I thought it felt really restricting and then the pictures following were very compelling. The starvation picture with the chocolate was strong because chocolate is a luxury food, but people often call it a 'necessity'.

Aaron:

I really enjoyed the pictures because they were sort of light, very pretty pictures of a beach. I almost got distracted by the prettiness of the picture. Having the shots so artistically framed did not get across to me sort of a critique of people's attitude towards the beach. I did feel like the tv and bottle were interesting but I think a couple more gritty pictures of trash on the beach might have helped cement the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment